This will be a short post. I just wanted to give two quick tips on the installation and activation of Win8 for developers.
When installing Windows 8, the easiest way is to just download the ISO file (from MSDN Downloads) and burn it to a DVD. However, since not everyone has a DVD drive these days, there is also the option of installing Win8 via USB.
1. Download Windows 8 ISO file
2. Get your USB drive (at least 4GB)
3. Download and install the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool.
4. Use the tool to load the ISO file onto your USB drive.
5. Reboot computer with USB plugged in (remember to check that your computer boots to USB).
If everything went well, you should then boot into the Win8 installation program.
The past days, the biggest issue for developers trying to activate their Windows 8 copies has been that their MSDN serial-keys doesn’t seem to work. I ran into this issue myself earlier today. There is however a rather quick solution:
1. Start CMD in elevated mode (type CMD on the new start screen, right click and select “Run as Administrator”).
2. type the following command:
slmgr.vbs -ipk “YOUR-PRODUCT-KEY”
3. Press [ENTER]
4. You should be activated