InfoPath Case Sensitivity

10 01 2011

Here is a quick tip for anyone struggling with InfoPath. It’s not the smoothest peach in the bowl, but it gets the job done.

When configuring an InfoPath form tied to a SharePoint list, you lose the ability to use custom code. This gets old really quick. I was struggling with fields not matching because of case sensitivity. Here is an example:

NameField = NameFromDatabase

NameField might be Viktor, viktor or VIKTOR. NameFromDatabase could also vary. What I did here was apply a translate function to each value I was comparing.

translate(X, "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ", "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz")

This replaces all the uppercase with lowecase letters. In my case it would read:

translate(NameField, "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ" ,  "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz") = translate(NameFromDatabase ,  "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ", "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz")

It’s not pretty, but it works. Similarly, I used translate to fix phone numbers and postal codes which might have spaces in them with this snip

translate(X, " –.", "")

As you might have guessed, it replaces all the special characters (space, – and . ) with a blank value. In this way “08-40 12 13” and “08401213” matches each other.

1276511036616

Advertisements

Actions

Information

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




%d bloggers like this: